You Can Achieve Your Goals IF
Posted on January 15, 2018
As a high school student, you can move from DREAM to DO and achieve your goals even though some people will say:
- “I don’t think you can do it.”
- “You’re not smart enough.”
- “It’s impossible!”
While achieving your goals is definitely possible, there is a big IF in the equation.
You Can Achieve Your Goals IF
First off, check out my story for some encouragement about achieving your goals. Here are a few highlights I share in the book Who Wants To Be Normal, Anyway?!
- In elementary school I had a significant speech impediment and could not pronounce the sounds associated with the letters F, G, J, K, L, R, S, V, Z, Ch, Sh, Th, and all related consonant blends.
- By the time I reached third grade, my teacher had a conference with my parents to ask how I passed the previous grades without being able to read.
- In seventh grade I was an “at-risk” child and was caught doing something that should have resulted in being expelled, but the middle school principal demonstrated a lot of mercy and understanding in dealing with me. By the way, he went on to become a mentor in my life.
- When I graduated high school, my SAT scores were so low I was not accepted into college. I had to pass Developmental Studies before being admitted into college on probation.
- In spite of all these academic struggles, I went on to graduate cum laude from college and summa cum laude in my graduate work.
- I have authored, co-authored, and published multiple books.
- I am now a professional speaker who speaks all over the country.
Because of my early challenges with speaking and writing, some of my friends giggled when I told them I wanted to be a speaker. A few even laughed when I mentioned I wanted to write a book. Yet even though I’m just an average guy, and in some ways below average, I’ve still been able to move from DREAM to DO and achieve my goals.
And you CAN do the same! You can achieve your goals and live your dreams…
Wondering what the big IF is? Below are four ideas you will need to embrace IF you want to move from DREAM to DO and achieve your goals.
Live Your Script—Be YOU
- Become a student of you—discover what you are passionate about and how you can best serve the world. Figure this out and you’re well on your way to living your script.
- As you begin to think about life after high school and what kind of career to pursue, focus on finding work that you will enjoy. Not only will this make work more fun, but according to Thomas J. Stanley’s book The Millionaire Next Door, a study of deca-millionaires revealed that they all have one thing in common… they LOVE what they do for a living. In other words, doing work you love not only allows you to enjoy your job more, it can also help you make more money.
Invest in the Right Relationships
- Jim Rohn said if you want to know what you’ll be like in five years, just take the average of the five people with whom you spend the most time. This should cause you to ask yourself: “Who am I hanging out with and how are they shaping my life?”
- Additionally, we are what we watch, listen to, and read. It’s fine to watch shows and listen to music for entertainment purposes, but have you considered listening to podcasts or reading books that can help you become the best person you can be?
Value the Power of Your Decisions
- The most successful people realize one of the only things they control 100 percent is their decisions. In other words, most events in our lives are out of our control, but we can control how we response to the circumstances we face. Therefore, live E+R=O.
Every Single Day… Take a Step
- Don’t make things harder than they need to be… you can move from DREAM to DO and achieve your goals by taking just one step forward towards your goal every single day.